HMP Shepton Mallet Ghost Quiz
The grade II listed prison, also known as Cornhill, was home to almost 200 inmates serving the final years of their life sentences until its recent closure.
Since then, it's fast acquired the reputation of being the most haunted prison in the UK, with tales of phantom soldiers, disembodied voices, and the apparition of a woman in a wedding dress.
The prison dates back to 1625, originally men, women and children were packed into Shepton Mallet together, apparently in dreadful conditions. The cells held debtors, thieves, vagrants and people with mental health disorders. Poor amenities and primitive sanitation led to frequent outbreaks of ulcers, jaundice, asthma and venereal diseases.
With almost 400 years of detaining murderers, violent criminals and notorious gangsters, plus a history of brutal executions, cruel punishments, suicides, and countless dead in unmarked graves within the prison walls, it's no wonder HMP Shepton Mallet has gained this reputation.
Test your knowledge of the ghosts and hauntings associated with the now disused HMP Shepton Mallet with these ten tricky questions.
1. The ghost of a soldier has been witnessed in the prison, he's believed to have been part of an American army firing squad, but how did he die?
2. Captain Philip William Ryal committed suicide by jumping off the prison roof in 1914, his last words are said to echo around the yard, but what were they?
Advertisement ‐ Content Continues Below.
3. C-Wing is said to be haunted by the White Lady, who was wrongly sentenced to death, but what was the crime she was accused of?
4. When it closed, it was the oldest operating prison in the UK, but what year was this?
5. During its military use, what was the prison known as?
6. In 1967, the gallows in the execution block were removed, what did the hanging room become?
7. In the 1820s a large treadwheel was built in the prison, 40 men at a time were expected to tread the wheel for what purpose?
8. Which notorious gangsters served time in the prison?
9. Which of these areas is said to be one of the most paranormally active parts of the prison?
10. From 1991 up until its closure, what type of prison was HMP Shepton Mallet?
The Haunted Hunts Quiz 2021
January 16, 2021
10 Haunted Locations Every Ghost Hunter Should Investigate
January 13, 2021
Can You Identify These Haunted Locations From Above?
January 09, 2021
Get Your FREE 2021 Psychic Predictions Now
December 26, 2020
Paranormal Quiz Of The Year 2020
December 25, 2020
Most Haunted Quiz Of The Year 2020
December 22, 2020
Can Human Thoughts Influence Random Number Generation?
December 20, 2020
Fate Or Fake: January's Paranormal Magazine Headline Game
December 10, 2020
10 Most Haunted Towns & Cities In The UK
December 07, 2020
Do Ghost Hunting Phone Apps Really Work?
December 04, 2020
Can Ghosts See Us & Our Surroundings?
December 03, 2020
Zak Bagans' Haunted Possessions Quiz
November 30, 2020
You May Also Like